Friday, March 18, 2016

Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard || Review



Title: Beautiful Broken Things
Author: Sara Barnard
Release Date: 11th February, 2016
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Buy the book: Book Depository 

I was brave...
She was reckless...
We were trouble...

Caddy and Rosie have always been inseparable. But that was before Suzanne. Now Caddy wants to be more than just the quiet one. She wants something to happen.

Suzanne is trying to escape her past and be someone different. Someone free

But sometimes downwards spirals have a momentum of their own.

And no one can break your heart like a best friend.

This book had everything that you could possible want for in YA Contemporary: heartache, friendship, trauma, family dynamics, and a whole bundle of tears and laughs and I-wish-I-could-hug-her moments in between. The dynamics between Caddy, Rosie and Suzanne were so honestly written that it honestly was a more interesting subject then the typical romance-inspired novel. It was a refreshing change to read a novel that truly grasped the difficulties of female friendships when you're in high school.

Caddy is a particularly interesting character to read about and I really enjoyed reading the book from her point of view. However she was also one of the most frustrating characters I have read. I emphasised with her feeling of being pushed aside in her friendship with Rosie (who hasn't felt like this at some point?) but she often came off as, well, kind of bratty to be honest. Her dislike of Suzanne felt baseless and undeserved.

Although what happened to Suzanne wasn't revealed until later in the book, I found her the character I was really rooting for. I wanted her to get through everything that had been thrown at her. Her ending left me wishing there were extra chapters - I really needed to know what happened to her. Without giving too much away, it was a realistic ending but I do wish it were happier.

Sara Barnard has crafted a story that so raw and honest and real that I couldn't put it down. The relationships and characters felt like they could've lived in the house down my street. And I'm positive that if you've lived through the trial of high school friendships, you'll fall in love with this story too. I wish I could reread it again for the first time, but I'm leaving that up to you instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.