Thursday, November 26, 2015

'Such a time in my life' || Shelley Segal


Shelley Segal is a singer that just keeps on writing things that people need to hear. Fresh from her massive American tour, Shelley has released the Background Noises, lifted from her Strange Feeling EP. The tune, which centres around a divorce is as vulnerable and heartfelt as they come.

With the grace and vocal ability of a true starlet, Shelley is someone you should've already heard by now.

Firstly, how are you feeling being back home after your massive tour in the US?
I'm feeling god, thanks for asking. It was a whirlwind tour - of three months - and I'm just starting to debrief. Eighteen states and a show in Canada as well. The day I got back we were moving house which didn't help with getting settled! Five days back and now the Aussie tour has started, so on to the next adventure. Basically, I feel like a rock star - who sits in economy and gets their sewing done on the plane home from a Perth show after being in town for five hours.

How did the tour pan out; did it run how you were planning?
I was very happy with the tour. It was my 9th US tour and we had a very busy schedule. All the shows went well - [we had] some technical problems at a couple [of the] shows but I appreciate the confidence that comes from learning to roll with it and how to make the best of those situations where conditions are less than ideal. I had sound problems at a conference on my last tour and I felt like I could have handled it better - by somehow still entertaining people while they were waiting. So this time, when we had sound issues at a show in Arlington, Texas, I walked around in the audience with my acoustic [guitar] and played songs to the tables. I was happy to be seeing early audiences and fans and also to be making new ones.

How did the American audiences treat you compared to your Australian ones?
I find my American audience to be a bit more forward than my audiences at home. [Having] people clapping in the middle of my stories when they hear an idea that resonates is something really cool that I haven't experienced at home. But then [there are] more confident hecklers, too.

Your latest track, Background Noises, is a vulnerable song, what was it like writing about such a sensitive subject?
I've gone through some painful breakups in my life but the relationships weren't as long or as committed as the one I was exploring. Being in a long term relationship now - made it easier to imagine and it seems incredibly painful and scary. But still there is that element of hope - of forward momentum, of maintaining autonomy even when it feels as though life and change happen to you.

I know that the divorce inspired this track happened to your close friends, how did they feel about you writing this song?
It's hard not to feel a little presumptuous writing about other people's lives. We've spoken about it and though I can't speak for anyone but myself, I know I like having songs that tell my stories so I hope that sentiment is shared. It's nice to have space to reflect on what has happened in your life and to see a path for being productive out of pain. I would hope it could be that for them, too.

Why did you feel it was a song that needed to be written?
It was just such a strong imagery that came into my mind. Sometimes I feel like I write songs about difficult things before they happen to me. I have songs that talk about death and loss that I am yet to face. When I was a kid I used to hide things for my future self that I thought I might need one day. Maybe this is my way of facing or preparing for such a time in my own life. [It's] a way to make it seem manageable.

SHELLEY SEGAL SHOWS
FRI 13 NOV | COLLINS SQUARE, DOCKLANDS VIC | ALL AGES | 6-9PM FREE ENTRY
WED 18 NOV | THE ELLINGTON JAZZ CLUB (BLOOM SUPPORT), PERTH WA | DOORS 7PM 
 | UNDER 18 MUST HAVE GUARDIAN  | TICKETS: http://www.ellingtonjazz.com.au/event/bloom-ep-launch/  SAT 21 NOV | WHEATSHEAF HOTEL, ADELAIDE SA | 18+ | 9.30PM FREE ENTRY

SUN 22 NOV | HICKINBOTHAM OF DROMANA, DROMANA VIC | ALL AGES | 1-4PM FREE ENTRY

THU 26 NOV | BENNETTS LANE, MELBOURNE VIC | 18+ |  
TICKETS $20:https://www.bennettslane.com/gigs.php?eID=1903
FRI 27 NOV | COLLINS SQUARE, DOCKLANDS VIC | ALL AGES | 6-9PM FREE ENTRY

SAT 28 NOV | PAYNESVILLE WINE BAR, PAYNESVILLE VIC | 18+  | TICKETS $10 ON THE DOOR
SUN 29 NOV | THE MILK FACTORY, STH BRISBANE QLD | UNDER 18'S MUST CONTACT VENUE | DOORS 4PM | TICKETS $10: www.OzTix.com.au 
WED 9 DEC | ALBION HOTEL, ALBURY NSW | 18+ | 9PM FREE ENTRY
SUN 13 DEC | WHEATSHEAF HOTEL, ADELAIDE SA | 18+ | 4.30PM FREE ENTRY
FRI 18 DEC | COLLINS SQUARE, DOCKLANDS VIC | ALL AGES | 6-9PM FREE ENTR

Facebook || Website || Buy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.