Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Where the Stars Still Shine || Book Review

Title: Where the Stars Still Shine
Author: Trish Doller
Release Date: June 2015 (paperback)
Publisher: Bloomsbury 
Source: Copy for Review
Buy the book: Book Depository


What if you found out that the only life you've ever known...was a complete lie?

Stolen as a child from her family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like.

But after Callie's mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie's real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, she must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love is more than just a possibility. By turns heartbreaking and hopeful, this sweet and sexy romance offers a whole new take on happily ever after.

I nearly didn't read this book because of how much I don't like the cover. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I just wanted something that would look nicer on my shelf after I'd finished reading it. Thankfully it's totally what's on the inside that counts (wow I'm going good with those cliches today..) and Where the Stars Still Shine was a fantastic contemporary read.

Where the Stars Still Shine is the story of Callie. After being reunited with her father and his new family, she is forced to live a 'normal' life. Which is a million miles from the whirlwind, leave-no-trace of her old world with her mother, who spent her time sleeping with random men or packing up and moving Callie to a new town. Going from that to a large, loud Greek family sets Callie into a tailspin, but new friends, new boys and a family that loves her how she is might just be what she needs.


Although I read this in the middle of a Tasmanian winter (i.e freaking cold!) this is probably a book I'd take the beach in future. Even though it wasn't as light-hearted as some contemporary romance novels, I thought the relationships in this book were totally sweet and well-written. Even Callie's inability to maintain a healthy relationship felt plausible considering everything she'd been through.


Callie's love interest, Alex, was a totally swoon-worthy, only-ever-found-in-books type of guy. "All week I've wanted just three things: hot wings, cold beer, and you." He was the perfect guy for Callie and it was hard to not fall in love with him too! Another strong point of this book was Callie's father, Greg. Possibly the most loving and understanding father, I really felt for him. Although the book is told through Callie's eyes, it was obvious that living with her was no easy feat. Yay for good dads in books!


My only real bad point about this book is the ending. I love realistic endings, but I also want the loose ends mostly tied up; especially when there's romance involved. But in my mind the ending was happy, so I suppose there's that. Overall I would definitely recommend picking this book up. Read it. And then maybe even read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! But foul language or anything offensive is not accepted. Have a swell day. :)