Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Banding with Buchanan


Alternative-indie is underrated. There I said. Finally.

Just have a listen to alt-indie group Buchanan and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

After spending a year of collaborative song writing and acoustic gig playing in London and around Europe, frontman Josh Simons has brought Buchanan back to Australia with more music and a really exciting sound.

The new single Coming Down debuted at number 29 on the Music Week Pop Charts and has had air play throughout the United Kingdom and (just to mix it up) Ibiza. Because why not really?

So relax, you're going to want summer and a long afternoon for this one.

Mahalia: What was your inspiration for Coming Down?
Josh: The song came about when me and producer Simon Duffy were remixing a song for another producer. We started to pull all these really interesting sounds together and realised that it was probably wiser to onto them for ourselves than to give them away on a remix. The actual song poured out in about five minutes that same afternoon and remained virtually unchanged from that day forward!


M: Have you always wanted to pursue music?
J: I think I was nine when I first played piano in front of an audience and it was televised. That was probably when I got the itch to perform, and to be honest it has never really weakened since then. So yes - it was always music I suppose. I'm a bit clumsy so I'm not sure I could find employment in a normal workplace - I'd probably be considered a hazard!

M: What are your favourite and least favourite things about being a musician?
J: My favourite thing in the world is seeing people connect with something I've written. It's the ultimate compliment and it always makes me feel incredibly warm inside. The worst part about being a musician? My frustratingly light wallet!

M: Who do you show your music to first? Whose opinion is most valuable to you?
J: I usually show a non-musician friend first to get and honest outsiders opinion. That is always the most valuable opinion in the early stages for me; a litmus test of sorts to see if you're on the right path with a new track or new sound. Mum usually gets a sneak peek before the rest of the world as well!

M: Who would you love to collaborate with?
J: Mike Dean or deadmau5.

M: Do you have anything coming up in 2015 that we should keep an eye out for?
J: We have a new album, and probably several singles between now and then. So plenty of things! I imagine we'll spend the summer finishing the album and then make plans to tour it from there. If you're a fan of Buchanan there's definitely lots in the pipeline and plenty on the way.

Have a listen to Coming Down!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! But foul language or anything offensive is not accepted. Have a swell day. :)